Monday, February 7, 2011

Valentine Postcard: Cupid with US Flag

I will feature valentine postcards this week in my blog. While the tradition of sending cards to one's beloved predated postcards by at least a century, those missives were hand delivered because of the high cost of postage. The advent of the "penny postcard" (so named because they cost just a penny to mail) accelerated the mass production of the heretofore handmade Valentine cards. Millions of Valentine postcards were sent between 1900 and 1917. Some were ornately decorated and others, such as the "vinegar valentines" (the sentiment was not very flattering!), were simple and rather plain.

Today's selection features a patriotic cupid toting a US flag - sort of a Fourth of July/Valentine all in one!
While this postcard is no longer available in my postcard stores, I carry a nice selection year round.
You can find Valentines in my ebay store here: Moody Mommy's Marvelous Postcard eBay Store
And in my bidStart store here: Moody Mommy's Marvelous Postcard bidStart Store

No comments:

Post a Comment