Friday, January 28, 2011

RPPC POSTCARD EGGLESTON CABIN STEVENS LAKE WI

I have to share this postcard today because I am so excited about my research results. Whenever I have an unidentified Real Photo Postcard with clues about location or subjects, I do a Google search to see if I can find out more. My first search, "Stevens Lake", yielded results in several states - I suspected Northern Minnesota, Wisconsin or Michigan but couldn't nail it. I next searched "Eggleston Stevens Lake" and found a 1908 obituary for Ralph Eggleston of Stevens Lake who drowned when he went through the ice on the lake. He left a widow in "delicate" condition (I assume this meant pregnant) and four young daughters. Ironically, he had his gun with him and the postcard shows a row of dressed deer on the right side of the cabin. The postcard is in very good condition but the image is not the best - it looks like it was snowing when the photograph was captured. There is a Velox stamp box - dating the card between 1907 and 1917.
 This card is currently listed as an auction on eBay:: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160538445799&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT


Here is a link to the Forest County Historical Society Obituary: Ralph Eggleston Drowned

No comments:

Post a Comment