Sunday, September 27, 2009

Merry Widow Hat Postcards

Franz Lehar's 1905 operetta "The Merry Widow" lent its name to the newest fashion in ladies' hats during the Edwardian period. These hats were often outrageously sized, wide brimmed and decorated with expensive feathers and flowers.

In 1908 J Grollman produced a series of Merry Widow Hat postcards poking fun at this fashion. I listed one of my favorites on eBay this week:

"VINTAGE MERRY WIDOW HAT POSTCARD LADY ON COFFIN 1908"

Here are a few of the others in this 16 card series:






  Update February 2011: 

I have found a few other Grollman Merry Widow Hat postcards to add


 


Back to work - or perhaps not since the day is glorious and all work and no play....

TTFN
Moody Mommy

You can find my Merry Widow Hat postcard listings in my eBay store here: Moody Mommy's Merry Widow Hat Postcard Listings

No comments:

Post a Comment